We are pleased to present this immaculate one bedroom apartment conveniently located for local shops and only a stones throw away from Hayes station. Situated on the top floor above commercial premises the property features a large reception with french doors leading onto a lovely south facing decked balcony, good sized double bedroom, modern kitchen and tiled bathroom. Other benefits include a large storage loft. Available May. VIEW NOW!
The name Hayes is recorded from 1177 as hoese from the Anglo-Saxon meaning "a settlement in open land overgrown with shrubs and rough bushes". It formed an ancient, and later civil, parish of Kent of around 1,282 acres (5.19 km2). The village stood at the junction of Hayes Lane, leading north to Bromley (one mile distant), and what is now known as Pickhurst Lane, leading west to West Wickham. The centre of the old village is now called Hayes Street. The village school was here, as is the parish church of St Mary the Virgin. Parts of the church date back to the thirteenth century; however it was subject to heavy restorations by George Gilbert Scott and John Oldrid Scott in the nineteenth century. The public house, also on Hayes Lane, is called "The George". Hayes Street Farm, still shown on modern maps, is to the north of the village centre.
Both William Pitt the Elder, 1st Earl of Chatham (1708â€“1778), and William Pitt the Younger (1759â€“1806) lived at Hayes Place. The house was demolished in 1933 and the site redeveloped, but its occupants are remembered in such road names as Chatham and Pittsmead Avenues. Prior to being demolished, Hayes Place was owned by the Hambro family (of Hambros Bank fame) and a couple of roads bear the family names.
Although the parish church of Hayes can trace its history back over 800 years, and local villains joined Jack Cade in his rebellion of 1450, the story of Hayes became significant a little over a century ago, when Hayes became a popular place in which to live because bankers, stockbrokers and those who were â€œsomething in the Cityâ€ bought property in the area.
The branch railway from Elmers End, originally known as the West Wickham and Hayes Railway, was opened on May 29, 1882. Hayes station is a terminus.
Today the area contains some small shops, though the local post office closed in 2004 (the nearest is now in the main shopping area near the station). The timbered cottage on the eastern side of Hayes Street was a newsagents called "The Walnut Tree" until 2006 when it reverted to residential use. The former village school is now a second smaller village hall; the local primary school which opened in around 1930 to replace it is in George Lane; in recent years it has expanded in size and now has three forms in each year. It is extremely popular and many of its pupils go on to Hayes School in West Common Road.
Walking Distance To Hayes Station
South Facing Balcony
One Double Bedroom
Epc Rating C
Contact branch for relevant Energy Performance Certificate